Gloria Dei Lutheran Church
Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
5415 Raleigh-LaGrange Road
Memphis, TN 38134
Rev. Jim Turriff, Pastor
Please join us this Sunday
Bible Hour for all ages 9:00AM - Sep. through May
Worship Service 10:15AM
The Constitution and Bylaws of Gloria Dei Lutheran Church provide that the Word of God, as proclaimed in the Bible, is the supreme authority in all matters of Christian faith and life. In all other Church matters not decided by the Word of God, the right of decision is conferred upon the Gloria Dei Lutheran Church congregation, according to representation by the voter’s assembly. In the manner followed by the original New Testament Church, the congregation appoints Church members to oversee various Church business that it is unable to supervise individually or collectively. To fulfill these needs, the congregation chooses elders and officers possessing the qualifications prescribed for leaders of the original New Testament Church (Acts 6:1-6). Opportunities exist for Church members to serve God, the Church, and the Church congregation by participating in the ministries of Church leadership and organizations.
The Board of Elders
The elders work closely with Pastor Turriff to accomplish the work of the Church. Although the responsibilities of the elders are specific to their title, they work together to assist the pastor to assure the spiritual welfare of the congregation. The board of elders consists of four individuals, each elected by members of the voter’s assembly. The titles and responsibilities of these individuals are the following.
- Elder – Spiritual Growth works with the pastor to help nourish and strengthen the faith of the congregation through Word and Sacrament in accordance with the Lutheran Confessions.
- Elder – Stewardship works with the pastor to help maintain the financial and legal integrity of the congregation as well as the physical properties necessary to carry on the work of the congregation.
- Elder – Planning and Administration works with the pastor to help organize and oversee the day-to-day operations of the congregation. This includes oversight of short-term budgeting and long-range planning.
- Elder – Member Care and Outreach works with the pastor to help members of the congregation (including our pastor/called workers and their families) remain faithful and active while dealing with the trials and tribulations of this life, and to reach out with the Gospel to those people who do not know Jesus as their Savior.
The officers of the congregation work closely with Pastor Turriff and the board of elders to advance the mission of the Church, giving due attention also to the work of the church-at-large. The officers are elected by the board of elders and consist of the following four positions and responsibilities.
- Chairman of the Congregation presides at all business sessions of the congregation and board of elders, signs legal documents, and assures the congregation’s financial records are audited annually.
- Secretary of the Congregation records the proceedings of all meetings of the congregation and board of elders, is responsible for the legal records of the congregation, and countersigns legal documents executed by the congregation.
- Financial Secretary of the Congregation receives and deposits all congregational contributions keeping accurate records, delivers a report of contributions along with accounts to be credited to the treasurer, makes a financial report at appropriate meetings, submits financial records for the annual audit, and provides church members with a quarterly report of their offerings.
- Treasurer of the Congregation obtains a monthly report of monies received from the financial secretary and credits funds to appropriate accounts, makes disbursements instructed by the board of elders as approved by the congregation, reports financial conditions to appropriate meetings, and submits financial records for annual audits.
Committees and Organizations
Temporary committees may be formed and dismissed by the board of elders as deemed necessary.
The budget committee is a permanent committee. The treasurer of the congregation and the financial secretary of the congregation are permanent members of the budget committee. Other Church members may be appointed to the budget committee by the chairman of the congregation. The budget committee gathers budget requests from the various Church committees and organizations, and prepares the congregation’s budget for the following year for review by the board of elders prior to being presented to the congregation for ratification.
Organizations may be formed within the congregation with approval of the board of elders. Organizations help support the mission of the Church, provide service to the Church, and promote social interaction and spiritual growth among members.